Cajun: cheddar & pepper jack cheeses, andouille sausage, green pepper, onions, celery, garlic, and cajun seasoning ($10.75)
Let me tell you a bit about my friend David. That’s him down below. He makes a banging burger and grills it to perfection. He’s great at Spanish, even though his AP teacher didn’t think so. David’s promised to visit me in the city for the past 3 years, but put it off until yesterday.
Better late than never I guess.
After some cupcakes at Billy’s Bakery, we needed something savory to compensate for that sugar overload. I gave him three choices- burgers, pizza, or mac n cheese. From this, David concluded that my favorite cuisine is American. He might be right…
We got in and there it was- a full fledged menu of mac n cheese goodness. It was so hard to choose, but we finally settled on the cajun. It was the andouille sausage that sold me.
They sell their macs by 3 sizes-
- nosh (small)
- major munch (perfect for sharing if you’re only a wee hungry)
- mongo (perfect for starving).
Even though the nosh is small, it’s really filling because of how creamy (and greasy) the dish is. I’d recommend sharing a major munch between two.
Even while waiting, I was so excited.
There it is. See that crunchy layer of cheese followed by the gooeyness of the cheese below? That’s what I call macaroni and cheese. Here are the reasons why I think S’mac’s mac n cheese is superb to all others:
- That crunchy layer of cheese. I can’t find the same crunch anywhere else. Nothing beats that.
- How the cheese soaks up all of the seasonings and flavor from the sausage and cajun. It’s gooey, cheesy but also flavorful.
- Macaroni is cooked just right.
- Even if you wait, it doesn’t really harden like some mac n cheeses do. It doesn’t even dry out!
- There’s so much cheese. I love scraping the burnt cheese off the sides.
The only con that I have is that it’s a bit too gooey in the sense that it actually gets a bit liquidy. Oh, and also the grease. But honestly, you can’t complain about the grease if you want good mac n cheese.
They even give you ketchup. Maybe that’s for the Cheeseburger (cheddar and american cheeses combined with seasoned ground beef).
Uh oh, almost couldn’t finish it. Don’t worry, we did.