With baresoaps now taking the center stage, little things that I used to enjoy have now taken a backseat. It’s been nearly a year since I last baked cupcakes! It’s been nearly year since I last ran a race! These things have led me to create a PTO bucket list, and this past Friday, I knocked baking off the list. I feel extremely blessed that my company gives me a birthday PTO, so I spent Friday morning with my mother, the afternoon baking, and the evening with my soap family pigging out on the cupcakes and some gelato that I received!
The following cupcakes are from a recipe that I found from Fox Magazine. The flavor was spot-on- I’d even say that they’re among the best red velvet cupcakes I’ve baked from the taste department. However, the texture was lacking as it was super dense. I’m nearly sure that I didn’t over beat the batter, so I’d be much obliged if someone can tell me how their cupcakes turn out with this recipe. Just to put it out there, this has also led me to become skeptical as to whether this is indeed one of Georgetown Cupcake’s recipes.
Also, in the spirit of minimizing artificial food coloring, I left out the red food coloring.
Homemade Georgetown Cupcakes (with a Twist)
Recipe from Fox News Magazine
- 3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons no-taste red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (for the frosting)
- 2-4 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted (for the frosting)
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (for the frosting)
- 6 ounces cream cheese (for the frosting)
Just as the cupcakes were coming out of the oven, the doorbell rang and the UPS guy delivered a giant, freezing box! What was in it? Breyers Gelato! More to come on this soon…